Hot plates come in handy whether you are in college, traveling, or camping. Hot plates are an easy, convenient, affordable way of preparing quick meals, boiling water, etc.
This ready-to-use stove can be relied on whenever and wherever needed. But, which hot plate is the best? Are the hot plates really reliable? What should you consider while buying the hot plate?
We have some well-researched answers to all your concerns and doubts to make you a little more aware of hot plates.
Can a hot plate boil water? How long does it take a hot plate to boil water?
Yes, a hot plate can boil water. When used with proper instructions and care, a hot plate takes around 7-10 minutes to boil water. The hot plate can reach a temperature range between 220-degree to 932-degree F; thus, it should be used and handled with care.
What features should be considered when choosing the hot plate?
It is always best to be sure about the features you should look for while buying a hot plate to make the right choice. Here are some important ones to consider:
- Temperature control: this feature helps to manage the temperature while using a hot plate for various purposes without any hassles. Some hot plates are designed with 3 temperature control settings (low, medium, and high), while some have more numbered settings. More temperature settings ensure better control and reduced risks of undercooking, overcooking, or burning.
- Wattage: it gives an idea of how quickly and how much heat the hot plate can produce. Hot plates with coil and infrared burners use 900 to 1,500W, while induction hot plates use 1,800W. A higher wattage value ensures faster boiling and deep frying; however, it is not necessary for simple cooking or reheating.
- Heating element: it reflects how much time the burner needs to heat up and how evenly it can distribute heat. Most hot plates have these 3 heating elements –
- Coils – heats up quickly, uneven heating resulting in food burning
- Infrared lights – even heat distribution, faster cooking, energy efficient
- Induction technology – most expensive but the best, great temperature control and even heat distribution
- Portability: if you are purchasing a hot plate to cook on the go, remember to consider its size and portability. Hot plates generally weigh between 2-5 lbs, depending upon the model, brand, design, etc.
- Performance: check if the hot plate performs well by ensuring
- Does the hot plate heat well?
- How many volts of electricity does it use?
- Can the temperature be adjusted?
- Can it be used indoors or outdoors?
4. Safety Features: ensure that the chosen hot plate comes with overheat protection which automatically shuts down the unit after reaching a dangerously high temperature. Besides, it should also contain a child lock benefit, automatic shut-off when not in use, etc., as its significant safety features.
How to boil water on a hot plate?
It just takes 10 minutes or less to boil water on a good quality hot plate. Use these steps for seamlessly boiling water using a hot plate:
- Plug in the hot plate and set the required temperature (medium or high). If your hot plate does not support adjustable temperature, simply turn it on.
- Place the water kettle or saucer on top of the hot plate and switch it on. Leave the water container on the hot plate for about 7-10 minutes until it reaches a boil.
- Afterward, take off the water container and switch the hot plate off. Ensure to let it cool completely before storing it again.
Can you cook on a hot plate? Are hot plates safe for boiling water or cooking?
Yes, you can use a hot plate primarily for cooking and preparing meals. Anything that can be cooked on a stove top can also be cooked on a portable hot plate.
Yes, hot plates are safe for boiling water and cooking if you know how to use them. It is an electrical device and should be used in its prescribed manner to avoid any harmful consequences. You must handle them with extra care to ensure long-lasting use.
Read the instruction manual before using the hot plate for the first time. This will help get all the required information about the dos and don’ts while using a hot plate. It is suggested to avoid using the hot plate against the manufacturer’s instructions as it can cause serious accidents.
How much does a hot plate cost?
Hot plates can range between $10 and $100 (INR 1,500 and INR 6,000), depending upon the brand, model, features, quality, performance, etc. They are generally designed with a stainless steel frame having 1 or 2 burners with diameters between 6.5″ and 7.5″ to fit pans, pots, and containers.
Most hot plates are compact enough to ensure convenient use and easy storage/maintenance without consuming much space. They are also lightweight and portable for easy traveling.
Safety tips for using a hot plate –
You should maintain some safety measures when using hot plates to ensure their performance. Here are some of the safety tips that should be followed with hot plate use –
- Always wear protective gloves when handling hot pans or containers on hot plates.
- Avoid using metal pans, pots, etc., on the hot plates as they can damage the surface or can cause hazardous accidents.
- Ensure that the top plate is dry before using it for cooking or boiling water
- Avoid using things that are not heat resistant on top of the hot plate
- Check the proper settings of the hot plate to avoid facing any hassles or difficulties handling the hot plate
- Do not use the hot plate if you notice any cracks or damage on the top surface
- Avoid storing, moving, or cleaning the hot plate just after you have used it. Let it get cool down before doing anything
- Always follow the safety tips instructed by the manufacturer to ensure lasting use of the hot plate and avoid possible consequences.
Do hot plates consume a lot of electricity?
On average, a hot plate will consume 1200W power. When used approximately for 1-hour each day, the hot plate can consume 36 kilowatt-hours. In comparison, this overall electricity consumption by a hot plate is less than that of an electric heater (consuming 45 kWh) when used for the same amount of time.
What are the alternative uses of the hot plate?
Other than boiling water, a hot plate can be used for several other purposes, which are –
- Cooking and heating food: hot plates make the perfect choice in kitchens where a full stove won’t be convenient or practical.
- Preparing tea and soups: you can also use a hot plate for preparing tea, soups, and other similar beverages.
- Laboratory uses: hot plates are also used as a heat source in laboratories for conducting different experiments.
- Traveling accompany: hot plates also make a popular choice of use for areas without electricity and traveling.
How to clean a hot plate?
Of course, you should ensure to clean the hot plate after every use to maintain it in excellent condition. Without proper cleaning, the food particles, dust, dirt, or oil can accumulate, resulting in rust formation and, thus, inappropriate working of the hot plate.
- Use a specialized hot plate or basic oven cleaner to eliminate rust.
- Use a light towel or soft scrubbing to remove food particles, dust, dirt, etc.
- For burned hot plate, mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with ½ cup of vinegar and gently scrub it over the affected areas.
- Avoid using chemicals and abrasive and non-specific products as they can damage the hot plate permanently.
- Use a non-scratching sponge or microfiber cloth for rinsing or wiping the hot plate.
- Ensure cleaning your hot plate regularly to avoid any major hassles.
How can you identify the problems in a hot plate?
- No heating: If the hot plate isn’t getting adequately heated, ensure to test the electrical cord. Make sure that the power is on. Check the internal wiring, thermostat, thermal fuse, and heating element for any damage and replace the same if it is faulty.
- Unleveled hot plate: Check for damaged or faulty feet if the hot plate isn’t appropriately leveled. You can adjust using a screwdriver if the hot plate unit contains a leveling leg. Ensure to replace the damaged feet if necessary.
- Disabled shut-off feature: if the hot plate does not shut off, you should check its thermostat settings. You should get it repaired or replaced as required.
What are the signs that the hot plates are not working?
If your hot plate is not functioning the way it should, it is one of the significant signs that it has been significantly damaged and needs your attention. Here are some common signs to identify a non-functional hot plate –
- Constant or unexpected clicking
- Burned-out heating element
- Faulty thermostat or electrical cord
- Damaged internal wiring
- Burners won’t turn on/off after rearranging or thorough cleaning
- Extensive rust appearance
- Cracked glass top
- The scorching smell after cleaning
- Burners can’t heat up to the desired temperature
What are the risks of using the damaged hot plates for boiling water?
Using a damaged hot plate may cause –
- Burns – touching the damaged hot plate could burn you and, thus, should be avoided.
- Fire – a damaged thermostat or on/off switch can cause a spark. If the spark is near flammable materials, it can cause a fire.
- Electrical shocks resulting in serious injuries
How to maintain a hot plate for effective working?
To ensure lasting use of the hot plate, it is vital to maintain it properly and safely. Here are some of the maintenance tips that can be followed with hot plates –
- Check the hot plate’s chord, plugs, and wires regularly to avoid any unwanted accidents or consequences.
- Keep all the electric cords away from heat to avoid the cords being damaged or worn out.
- Maintain enough space around the hot plate for heat dissipation. Also, ensure to keep the hot plate away from any flammable and combustible fuels/materials.
- Always remember to unplug the unused hot plate
- Never leave the turn-on hot plate unattended
- Ensure cleaning the hot plate after every use while keeping its safety and cleaning instructions in mind
How much does it cost to repair the damaged hot plates?
Repairing a hot plate can cost around INR 500 to INR 1,500, depending upon the problem or damage. The more the damage, the higher the repair cost. Thus, you should handle, use and maintain the hot plate with proper care.
While repairing the hot plate, keep the following instruction in mind:
- Unplug the hot plate from the power source
- Find and carefully remove all the cords, screws, bolts, etc., holding the hot plate. Ensure to note where they should be reinstalled.
- Remove access to the internal wiring, burners, and other components.
- Test all the electrical components to check their working and replace them as needed.
- Reinstall all the cords, screws, bolts, etc., to their respective places. Check the working of the hot plate after reinstalling it. Stop using the hot plate and choose professional assistance if you witness any sparks or burning smells.
1. What should you use to boil water on a hot plate – stainless steel or glass?
Both stainless steel and glass can be used effectively depending upon their brand, quality, durability, and reliability.
2. Can you leave a hot plate on overnight?
It is advisable not to leave the hot plate on overnight as it can be hazardous. It can initiate a spark or catch fire when left unattended for long hours. Also, let the hot plate cool before storing or cleaning to avoid any dangerous consequences.
3. Is it safe to use damaged hot plates for boiling water?
No, using a damaged or worn-out hot plate for cooking or boiling water is not recommended. Discarding the hot plate is highly recommended to avoid any dangerous consequences.
We hope we have provided you with enough information about hot plates. Hot plates are a great choice for cooking meals, boiling water, etc., especially when you need a reliable and quick heating method on the go.
Let us know your thoughts and opinions in the comment section.