Have you broken your electric kettle and are wondering if you could use your instant pot to boil water? Are you new to using an instant pot and haven’t explored if you could boil water in it?
We have the answer for you! Yes, you can boil water in your instant pot in less than 3-5 minutes (depending on the water quantity).
This is because the steam can’t escape from the appliance, building heat and pressure inside and quickly bringing the water to its boiling point (212°F).
Read on to learn the two different methods of boiling water in your instant pot, the quantity of water you can boil in your instant pot, and much more!
How To Boil Water in an Instant Pot
By running your instant pot on a pressure cooker or sauté mode, you can boil water. While the pressure cooker function is good for boiling large amounts of water, the sauté function is ideal for boiling a smaller quantity of water. Here’s how to do it:
Boiling water using pressure cooker function:
- Plug in your instant pot.
- Add the desired quantity of water into the instant pot.
- Close the lid and lock the pressure-releasing valve.
- Set the temperature to “high”. Next, adjust the timer to 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid once the timer goes off to use the boiled water.
Boiling water using the sauté function
- Press the Sauté control key on your instant pot.
- Set the temperature to “medium.”
- Wait until the instant pot reaches the sauté temperature (the indicator will change to “hot” once this temperature is reached).
- Then, add 1-2 cups of water into the instant pot.
- Remove the lid of your instant pot and let the water boil.
How Much Water Can You Boil in an Instant Pot?
An instant pot requires at least some water to build pressure for cooking. So, you should use at least 1 cup of water to make your instant pot work.
Moreover, you can use its pressure cooker mode to boil a large quantity of water (4-6 cups) or its sauté mode for boiling a smaller quantity of water (1-2 cups).
Just ensure that you don’t fill water over the maximum fill line/”Max “line of your instant pot!
How Long Does it Take to Boil Water in an Instant Pot?
Generally, boiling water in an instant pot can take around 5-8 minutes. Nevertheless, this duration can vary according to the amount of water.
For instance, you can get 1-2 cups of boiling water in 3-5 minutes by running your instant pot on “sauté” mode.
Moreover, boiling 4-5 cups of water in an instant pot can take around 5-8 minutes (in pressure cooker mode).
Is It Safe To Boil Water in an Instant Pot?
You don’t have to worry about your safety while boiling water in your instant pot. This is because your instant pot is insulated, which means that its outer layer doesn’t get hot while it functions.
As a result, you won’t burn your hand if you accidentally touch it while boiling water in your instant pot. In fact, you can even touch the walls of your instant pot without feeling any heat!
Moreover, when you boil water, chances are high that it might splatter and get into any nearby electrical circuits. However, in an instant pot, water doesn’t splatter, and this lowers the risk of short circuits.
Can You Use Instant Pot As A Kettle?
Yes, an instant pot can replace an electric kettle. Just like a kettle, it can quickly boil water to its ideal temperature, which is 212°F. So you would not have to wait longer!
Moreover, an instant pot can even keep the water hot for around 2-3 hours, which an electric kettle also does.
Furthermore, an instant pot can give you boiling water in less than 5 minutes by simply pressing a button (you can also find this feature in an electric kettle).
This can be a plus point in cold weather, as you won’t have to wait to brew your cup of tea or coffee!
Which Is Better – An Instant Pot or a Kettle?
We have listed below some features of an instant pot and a kettle so that you can figure out which one will be better for you:
Here are some features of a kettle:
- It is cheaper as compared to an instant pot.
- It can quickly boil water in 3-5 minutes.
- Since it is insulated, its outer layer doesn’t get hot while it functions.
- It is compact, easy to use, and handle.
Here are some features of an instant pot:
- It saves time by boiling water in less than 5 minutes.
- You can use it for cooking a variety of dishes.
- It is safe to touch and use as it has insulated walls.
- It is more expensive as compared to a kettle.
But which one is better for me?
Now that you know some features of an instant pot and a kettle, let’s find out which one will be the best suited for you.
You should go for a kettle if:
- You only need to use it for boiling water since it can’t cook foods like an instant pot.
- You have a small budget as it costs less than an instant pot.
- If you have less space since it is compact and can fit anywhere.
You should go for an instant pot if:
- You need to use it for both boiling water and cooking foods such as soups, pasta, rice, noodles, etc.
- You are willing to spend more money as it costs higher than a kettle.
- You have more space since an instant pot is larger as compared to a kettle.
1. Can you boil water in an instant pot without a lid?
By utilizing the sauté function of your instant pot, you can boil 2-3 cups of water in it without the lid.
Just wait for 3-6 minutes (according to how much water you have put) for your water to come to a boil.
However, if you want to boil a large quantity of water in your instant pot, you must use its pressure cooking function and keep the lid on.
2. Can you boil pasta in an instant pot?
You can cook pasta in your instant pot in less than 5 minutes. Just add 1-2 cups of water to your Instant pot. Then, add pasta and adjust the timer for 4-5 minutes to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shuts down, move the valve to release the pressure. Your delicious pasta is ready!
If you want to boil water and don’t have access to an electric kettle, your instant pot will do the job for you!
Now, you can boil water for making pasta, noodles, soup, etc., or for brewing a cup of tea/coffee with an instant pot.
Moreover, an instant pot saves your time and is easier to clean and handle. So it would be a wise idea to invest in one!
Tell us in the comment section if you have any other questions related to instant pots. We will reply to you soon!